Our process is as follows:
1. If you see a dog or cat that you are interested in adopting, or are just interested in general, in the first instance please can you complete and return an application form. https://helpingdogsandcatsuk.org/forms
Please ensure that you meet our criteria if you are looking to adopt a dog, see below:
• We do not home to flats above ground level
• We do not home with children under 5
• You will require a minimum 5ft height secure fence/wall
2. We will review all applications received and if successful, a member of our volunteer admin team will call you for an informal chat. We will talk through the answers on your application form and find out more about you, your lifestyle etc. This is also an opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have.
3. If the rescue and yourselves feel that it is a good match, we will organise an in-person home check. There is a £10 charge for home checks, which will be deducted off the compulsory adoption fee at the end.
4. For dogs – After the home check has been approved, we will arrange for a meet and greet (if the dog is already in foster). We ask for a minimum of three visits, including taking along any dogs already in the home, along with any other family members. The fourth visit will be to collect the dog or in some cases the dog will be delivered directly to you at home.
5. After ongoing conversations and if everyone agrees, we will send you an adoption agreement to sign and return to us. We will also ask for the adoption fee to be paid.
Rescue Back Up
The team works hard to ensure that our dogs go into the right homes and vice versa that you are happy with the adoption. We understand that sometimes things do not work out, people’s circumstances change, or you may feel that you are not coping or having issues with the puppy or dog etc. and, in these rare instances, we provide full rescue back up.